Monday, March 13, 2006

Products to stop feather picking?

Has anyone tried any of these products you can put on your chickens to stop picking? Bess, who is really the most interesting and most personable of our birds, has found herself at the bottom of the pecking order, and when she gets out of line, the other birds are fond of reaching over and plucking a feather out of her neck. I just don't like the way it looks--she was so much cuter with her little beard. I worry that the Hot Pick will sting her bare skin, so should I try the Blue Kote? The Pine Tar seems like it's designed for more serious wounds.

(Scott came upstairs while I was writing this post and just laughed at the idea that I would buy something like this for our chickens. I said, "Honey, I'm sure she doesn't like having her neck all exposed like that when the other girls all have feathers. She needs products! This is a chick thing." He agreed that it was probably best if he just stayed out of it. I can already tell that I will be the one in charge of Bess' nightly beauty ritual.)

McMurray Hatchery - Anti Pick